Rob Hahn got his real estate start with a firm that specialized in airplane hangars. Today, he works as a real estate consultant, offering the same tell it like it is, informed opinions that keep his blog, Notorious-ROB.com bookmarked by agents around the country.
Catch the story behind his success as a consultant to some of the nation’s largest real estate brokerages, organizations and stand-alone businesses. Find out how he got his start in real estate after migrating to the U.S from Korea and pivoting from one venture to the next, harvesting a rich set of knowledge across the industries of law, tech, media and more.
Rob shares his predictions about what the future looks like for real estate agents and the market alike. He talks about the importance of team building and thoughtful maneuvering within an ibuyer-impacted market. Also, get his take on the MLS and why he thinks they may want to rethink their structure.
“What I would love to see the MLS’s do…I would love to see them all go private. Not be non-for profit… just start buying each other up and go raise capital because you can’t go raise any capital if you’re a non-for profit.”
-Rob Hahn [31:19]
- Rob Hahn’s Advice for New Agents:
Join A Team
Join a really good team and learn how they do what they do so well. After a few years of learning, if you decide you have what it takes to branch out on your own then you know how to do it.
“That’s how great companies are formed. They come out of other great companies… Go find a really great team in your area and join it. Learn all you can. Suck up all that experience, that knowledge and then make some decisions at that point.”
-Rob Hahn [53:20]
- [00:31] Intro
- [00:47] Meet Rob Hahn
- [03:18] Moving from Korea and growing up a pastor’s kid
- [05:13] How speaking your mind can be contrarian
- [08:19] Harvard, Yale, and entrepreneurship
- [11:01] The leadup to real estate and an important StarWars note
- [13:53] 911’s impact on the startup economy and moving into real estate
- [17:10] The story behind 7DS Associates
- [20:51] The Notorious ROB Blog
- [23:59] His favorite client to work with as a consultant
- [28:38] Thoughts on MLS governance
- [30:45] What Rob would change about the MLS association
- [37:03] ibuyers: Opendoor and Zillow
- [42:50] Bionic superteams and what agents should be thinking about
- [46:48] Brokers strategy
- [51:27] Taking advantage of the changes ahead
- [52:39] Rob Hahn’s advice for new agents
- [54:20] Finding Rob
- [56:35] Outro
Find | THE REAL ESTATE SESSIONS
Find | Bill Risser
Find | Rob Hahn
RATE & SUBSCRIBE